Saturday, January 22, 2011

Each Day is a Challenge.

So recently, I received this internet "Challenge" to write a letter to someone who has influenced me greatly in life. So, today ladies and gentlefolk, I think I'll be writing about a good friend of mine.

Libby,

You and I have been through so many tough times together. We've laughed so much, we've joked and play fought. We've cried together. I've sat and watched you stay strong for your family, when all else failed. I've watched you become a beautiful girl right before my eyes. We've transformed so much since I first met you.
Your smile has affected me in ways I cannot fathom. It's brought humor and joy to my life. It's brought relief and serenity. You have truly been an amazing friend.
You have always held me up through it all; until last year made you weak. Last year, I held you up for the first time. I walked into the funeral home, and you just looked at me and crumbled. You sobbed into me, and I held you against your worst nightmare at that point, yourself. I would've held you all night if it would take the pain away. If I could make the tears slow down, maybe your trembling lips stop quivering. If I could take the pain out of your voice.

I was the only one you told. The only one who knew why you started missing school. The only one who knew your mom progressively got worse, and worse.
I was the only one who could help you hold this burden. I made up excuses, fake illnesses to explain your absences from school.
"Libby never gets sick!" they told me each day. I just said "Yeah, I'm not really sure."
Each day, I texted you and called you.
Then, you told me she wouldn't come home.
Two days later, she would never come home again.
Three days later, we would never be closer.
Nine months later, I'm the only one who talks to you about your mom.
It's so funny and ironic how tragedy brings the close, closer, and sets the boundaries for friends and acquaintances.
So here's to you, Libby. Thank you for being my rock, but remember, tables turn just as quickly as time.

No comments:

Post a Comment